Buying your first home isn’t easy. For most people, it requires years of meticulous financial planning and saving. Fortunately, the government has several grants and guarantees to help first-home buyers get into their homes sooner.

The First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) is one such government-sponsored scheme, funded by individual states and territories. It was introduced in July 2020 to offset the effect of GST on home ownership.

If you’re an eligible first home buyer under the scheme, you may receive a one-time grant from your state or territory government towards the purchase of your home. However, the amount you receive and the eligibility criteria for the grant will depend on where you buy the house, as each state or territory administering the fund may have different rules around it.

FHOG: What’s available across different Australian states and territories

State or territoryGrant amount
Australian Capital TerritoryNo longer available. Stamp duty exemption may be available under the Home Buyer Concession Scheme.
New South Wales$10,000, if you’re buying or building a new house up to a maximum value of $750,000.
Northern Territory$10,000, if you’re buying or building a new house.
Queensland$15,000, If you’re purchasing or constructing a new house valued up to $750,000.
South Australia$15,000, if you’re purchasing or building a new home up to a maximum value of $575,000.
Tasmania$30,000, if you’re purchasing or constructing a new home between 1 April 2021 and 30 June 2023.
Victoria$10,000, if you’re buying or building a new home up to a maximum value of $750,000.
Western AustraliaThe lesser of $10,000 or the consideration paid for purchasing or building a new home.

Note: The information in this table was verified on 28 Feb 2022. You can visit the First Home website for the latest figures and other information on the grant in your state or territory.

Are you eligible for First Home Owner Grant in your area?

The exact conditions you need to meet to qualify for the First Home Owner Grant depends on the state or territory where you live. However, you’ll generally need to meet the following criteria to qualify for the grant:

  • You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
  • You should be aged over 18.
  • You must be a person purchasing or constructing a house. Companies and trusts are not eligible for the grant.
  • You, your partner, or co-applicant must not have previously owned a house in Australia or received the grant.
  • Depending on where you live, you may need to reside in the house continuously for at least six months within a year of purchasing or building it.

Apart from these general conditions, different states and territories may have other criteria to determine your eligibility for the grant. These may include the maximum value of the property and its location within the state or territory. It’s worth visiting your state’s Revenue Office or their website to get detailed information on the grant and any other exemption or concession you may be eligible for.

Other schemes

In addition to the First Home Owner Grant, other government-sponsored schemes exist for first-home buyers. These include stamp duty exemptions or concessions and federal government-sponsored schemes, such as the Home Guarantee Scheme that enables some Australians to borrow money for a house with a low deposit. Apart from conducting your own research, you could seek help from a mortgage broker or ask a HashChing expert for more information on the various government grants and guarantees.

By Vidhu Bajaj
Hashching Content Writer

Related Articles:


Book a FREE consultation
with one of our experienced
mortgage brokers today!